Monday, January 7, 2013

Home Meals: Chicken Breast


For lunch this week, I'm trying a new Chicken Breast Wow recipe.

Mr Bauer loved the filling; he literally went "wow!" and I think you will also get this response when you try this recipe!

This is my first time realising how hard it is to cook chicken.  Especially in this case, the filling was cooking so much faster than the chicken did.  By the time the chicken was done, some of the filling had already started to burn.  It's a good thing I made extra filling, so I could get rid of the burned bits. 
Next time I try this, I will half cook the chicken first before adding the filling and cooking the rest of it.  Alternatively, you can also serve the filling cold, on top of your pan fried chicken.

With chicken, I've learned not to be too disheartened at the slow rate it takes to cook.  In spite of it being in the pan for what seemed like ages till it was fully cooked, the meat was not dried out at all - and this was chicken breast!

I also discovered a handy trick if you run out of sweet chilli, which the recipe calls for.  Mix a teaspoon of honey into a tablespoon of regular chilli or hot sauce and you get a wonderful sweet and spicy taste that will add a little kick to this dish!

As a side, I'm serving a beautiful Japanese pumpkin we picked up for cheap at the Subiaco Sunday Market. The pumpkin was served mashed with potatoes using this Quebec recipe.  I'll be using fresh whole milk instead of skimmed milk, simply because it's what we have in the fridge at the moment.

I absolutely love pumpkin and am trying to influence Mr Bauer to like it to so I can include it more in our home meals.

No comments: