Friday, February 8, 2013

My Sugoi na Valentine's!

This weekend is supposed to be the Chinese New Year weekend, but since neither Mr Bauer nor I have any plans, we decided to make it our Valentine's Day weekend instead!

I'm excited to post about our amazing date because I only just realised the effort he had put into making it a fantastic day just for me.  I'd mentioned some time ago that all I wanted this v-day was heart-shaped chocolates - cheesy and sweet.  I was really past the overtly romantic, expensive dinners and overpriced flowers, along with raised expectations and tensed conversations that came with most of the valentine's I had experienced before meeting Mr Bauer.   And really, I meant it.



We both adore Japanese cuisine, so he brought me to the newly opened Is Donburi in Northbridge, which has a whopping 90% on Urban Spoon!  The food was really delicious and as usual, we over ordered.  The salmon platter was filled with fresh salmon, seared salmon with melted cheese and my favourite salmon roe.  The prawn avocado roll was bursting with flavours from the fresh onions and refreshing marinade.  The karage, his favourite, was super crispy and juicy, and the beef tataki was delicate and tangy.  They even provided us with special valentine crockery at Mr Bauer's request as we were almost a week early! Sweet!



After that delicious meal (we had to da-pao some home as we were truly stuffed), Mr Bauer led me to a nearby florist and had me pick out a pot of Japanese Geisha Girl.  What a thoughtful gesture!  I love the how the petals look like they have been hand painted with a splash of purple paint.



 Sadly, we were too full for some San Churos hot chocolate, and settled in a nearby park to watch old Chinese movies instead.  Beanbags were provided and it was nice to snuggle up and laugh at the silly wayang antics onscreen.



When we got back, Mr Bauer gave me yet another Japanese surprise!  He remembered my request for heart-shaped chocolates this V-day and had specially flown in a yet-to-be-released edition of my favourite Royce Napa Chocolate!!!  It's not even available in Japan yet.  Of course, he had to carve a heart into it.  He is not very good at art, but this is the most perfect heart I've seen :)

Can you believe it was only then that I realised the obvious Japanese theme valentine's he had planned for us?  I was always going on about how much I miss Tokyo from my flying days and how much I would love to visit Japan with him some day.  He promises we will!



No comments: