Saturday, May 18, 2013

What is a Marriage Proposal?

Diamond rings, red roses, bended knees and sweet champagne.  That is the image of marriage proposals I have been surrounded with, growing up in Singapore.

Being in my late 20s, I have shared the joy of several marriage proposals from my friends, and have experienced two failed proposals myself.  One of them took place in the unbelievably romantic setting of the deck of a cruise liner, under the night sky.  The other took place on a bridge along Kallang where I was asked to "invest in a property together".  Haha.  What seemed so overwhelming and emotional then, now seems like a joke I chuckle at sometimes.

Some people believe the most important part of a marriage proposal is the element of surprise.  I think both of my previous suitors may have taken that too far, because on both occasions, I was so surprised that I vehemently, and quite violently, declined.  When I hear stories of my friends' proposals, they were certainly surprised; however, not by the intention of marriage, but by the proposal scene created lovingly by their boyfriends.  That is sweet, I think!

As for Mr Bauer, he has brought up the subject of marriage so many times that I've lost count.  The moment I agreed to try out a relationship with him, he wanted to confirm that I was ready for marriage.  After a week of being together, he asked me what I wanted in a husband.  Within a month of our long distance relationship, he asked me if I would consider marrying him, and this continued on for the next five months, with me always cheekily replying - you check with my parents first, then ask me!

To my surprise, that was just what he did, flying into Singapore for 12 days to spend time with my family and friends, and then asking my parents for my hand.  That was very sweet!

I really appreciate Mr Bauer for taking away the element of uncertainty and insecurity that can come with new relationships.  He made it clear right from the start what his intentions were, so that I could sit back, relax, and observe if he was indeed the one for me.  To me, that is the best kind of marriage proposal.  Of course, I am still waiting for my surprise proposal, which he promises will not be forgotten, but only because I want to have a good story to tell our child(ren) next time, not because I need it to believe his intentions.

No comments: